This dish has everything Paolo loves. Bacon, cream, mushrooms and pasta. I now share with you, my recipe for a pasta so delicious in its decadence it is sure to become a guilty pleasure.
Trofie with Creamy Mushroom and Crispy Bacon
- 1 Tbsp. of Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (sliced thin)
- 2 Thick slices of Smoked Bacon (diagonal slices)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (I warn you, this one is hedonistic)
- 1/2 Cup Dry white wine (Chef’s Pour also recommeneded)
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 8 Oz Button Mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
- 1 Lemon Zest
- Juice from half the Lemon
- 1 Sun-Dried Tomato (thinly sliced – Optional)
- Large pinch of red pepper flakes (Optional)
- 1 Rosemary Sprig (Leaves removed and chopped)
- 2 Thyme Sprigs (Leaves removed and chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Basil if you have it for garnish (Parsley would have been better but I had plucked my garden clean already!)
- .5 lb (approximately) of a good dried pasta, for this I prefer Pisani Trofie
- 2 Clean bowls for Bacon & Mushroom cooking steps listed below.
Start with a Mise en Place for this dish. There are a few steps and you’ll be taking items in and out of the pan as they crisp and brown, so it’s helpful to be organized and have 2 small clean bowls on the side.
- In a large pan, Heat Olive Oil on medium
- Add bacon strips and slowly render the fat out and crisp up your bacon
- Remove Bacon to bowl 1 to incorporate back later. Bacon in pasta is magical, if left in the pan while cooking the rest of the dish, the star ingredient losses all the crisp texture you just worked so hard to develop.
Enjoy… just remember I warned you this one’s dangerously good!