One of my foodie quirks, is ordering anxiety. I’m afraid to pronounce foods incorrectly while traveling. Especially in Italy since my Husband is after-all, Italian! Before our 90 days on the road trip, I obsessively studied to ensure I wouldn’t embarrass myself, or my Husband when ordering. In Puglia or Apulia, a region of southern Italy, my obsession was Orecchiette.
Going in, I was like…. “Ok. I know, Orecchiette is from Puglia. I know, Orecchiette means little ears. I know a few traditional Orecchiette recipes and even how to make Orecchiette!”
What I didn’t know for sure, was how to pronounce Orecchiette. Bello and I often enter a round of ping-pong when I’m learning a new word in Italian.
I’ll attempt it “OR-E-Kedy.”
Bello eventually smiles. At that point I know, I’m close enough. At least an Italian will know what this American wants. Then later, when he’s not looking, I research until I find something that helps me nail it. I googled How to Pronounce Orecchiette… but come on, ôriˈkyedē?! Then, I found this and it helped!
How to Properly Pronounce Orecchiette in Italian
There is something blissfully sweet and simple about the way pasta is made in Italy. Made with Durum flour, rolled by hand, dried on window screens, it’s classic!
How to Make Orecchiette
Orecchiette is made by rolling long ropes, slicing small pieces and rolling the pasta quickly between palm and thumb. This motion creates the cute little ear shapes and when cooked, makes the perfect cradle for sauces.
In Puglia, there is no Orecchiette substitute and it’s never called Orecchiette pasta, it just simply is, Orecchiette! And it’s delicious.
- How to Properly Pronounce Cacio e Pepe
- Italy Pic of the Day | Prosecco Vineyard Keyhole
- Italy Pic of the Day | The Door of Valpolicella
- Why Eggs Are Not Refrigerated in Europe
- Moving to Italy | Month 4 | August Shutdown & Avoiding Crowds
- Moving to Italy | Italian Wine Tours
- Could Italy Run Out of Olive Oil?
- Why I Love Spoleto Italy in 10 Photos
- The One Dish You Must Have in Tuscany
- How to Properly Pronounce Orecchiette