As young kids, my Sister and I used to draft our dream homes on grid paper… for fun. I’d be willing to bet somewhere, in the back of a closet, in a box, in a folder, my Sister actually still has hers. As a nomad prior to this Italian Home Renovation, I wasn’t one for keeping much paper around. Over all these years though, I’ve held tight to the memories of making furniture cut outs to scale with my big Sis.
This week, those memories are part of what’s making our latest round of bathroom renderings an extremely enjoyable part of adulting. This girls dream house is finally, finally coming together.
Italian Home Renovation | Bathroom Tile, Italy
Although floor to ceiling tiles on all four walls in the kitchen and bathroom is tradition in Italy, I just couldn’t wrap my brain around the need, or the added expense. By now our Architect knows to expect some odd curveballs dealing with her first American client. Luckily, she’s always got an idea up her sleeve. Usually one that represents the perfect compromise to represent tradition, location and ultimately us, the people who will live in the house.
As a compromise to four full walls of tiles in the bathroom, we are going with tiles inside the shower directly under and beside the rain shower head. The remaining walls will get paint mixed with a resin. Still waterproof, not as heavy visually, and frankly cheaper as we’re not ordering as much tiles. Take a look!
Everything was moving along smoothly until… we got the price quote for the bathtub! Holy hot bath in hell. Let’s just say, NOW I understand why fewer Italian homes have bathtubs than American homes! Join me next week when (fingers crossed) I can share our compromise to bathtub sticker shock in Italy.
Don’t want to miss the fun of our Italian Home Renovating? Sign up to get updates in your inbox.
If you’re just joining our Italian Home Renovation journey, here’s a recap list of the journey so far.
- Renovating Bardonecchia | What’s Up With Wall Tiles in Italy?
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Sink Goals
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Smile It’s a Bidet!
- Renovating Bardonecchia | To SMEG or Not to SMEG
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Kitchen Island in Wonderland
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Final Floor Plans!
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Which to Ditch, Bathtub or Kitchen Island?
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Floor Plans Round Two – My Dream Home Sketch
- Renovating Bardonecchia | Initial Floor Plans are Here!
- Renovating Bardonecchia | 2020 Tax Breaks & COVID Delays
- 23 Quirky Differences | Italian vs American Homes
- How We Decided Where to Live in Italy Plus BEFORE PHOTOS!
- Hardest Part of Doing a Home Renovation in Italy
- Why Reno a Time Capsule?